HUFFINGTON POST

After Charlie Hebdo Attack, French President Vowed To Protect All Public Spaces

He said "security forces will be deployed wherever there is the hint of a threat."

Amid reports of a shooting in a restaurant and a series of explosions in Paris Friday, it's worth remembering that French President Francois Hollande pledged to respond vigorously even if there was just a hint of a threat after the deadly attacks at the offices of Charlie Hebdo in January.

"We must also protect all public spaces," Hollande said in January. "The government has implemented what is known as the Vigipirate Plan on 'attack' level, which means that security forces will be deployed wherever there is the hint of a threat."

French police have reported 26 deaths so far in the attacks.

Louis Sarkozy, the son of former French President Nicholas Sarkozy, tweeted on Friday that Hollande's weakness had become a liability for France. He later deleted the tweet out of respect for the families of the victims, but said that he had no regrets.

 

 

Read more on the developing situation in Paris here.

Also on HuffPost:

PHOTO GALLERY
Paris Attacks
CONVERSATIONS