With Valentine's Day a mere two weeks away, I've been making lots of heart-y crafts with my kids. So it seemed only natural that I would want to make hearty-y food, too.
Here are easy directions for making adorable heart-shaped fried potatoes.
1. Go to Pinterest and look at all the adorable foods people have carved, kabobed and baked in the shape of hearts and decide you too must do that.
2. Choose to make something with potatoes, since you do not have any of the ingredients needed for the other adorable ideas, and are too damn lazy to go to the store to get them.
3. Find this amazing recipe for Roasted Potato Hearts and decide to make them for family breakfast.
4. Realize the recipe has too many steps and is way too difficult for someone who only has one Sponge Bob (i.e., 22 minutes) to make the adorable heart potatoes and the rest of breakfast.
5. Decide to improvise own almost-as-good heart potato recipe by slicing two potatoes semi-thinly, and then using a cookie cutter to cut out adorable hearts from the potatoes.
6. Realize cutting out adorable hearts from the potatoes is taking forever (which is way longer than one Sponge Bob episode) and switch to a larger heart-shaped cookie cutter.
7. Cut out one adorable larger heart potato.
8. Accept that even with this major improvement to the adorable heart-cutting out process, it is still going to take longer than you are willing to spend cutting out adorable heart potatoes. Especially when you are but one mother with seven remaining minutes, and who still has to make the rest of breakfast.
9. Heat oil in a heavy skillet, and fry the pan-full of adorable potato hearts you have managed to cut-out in the preceding fifteen minutes of your life that you are never going to get back.
10. Flip the potato hearts, and serve on platter alongside other regular non-heart breakfast foods.
11. Listen to the kids happily exclaim that there are hearts for breakfast! and decide it really wasn't so much work after all.
12. Vow to make even more and better adorable heart food next time!
You can see more adorable heart shaped food on my Pinterest Board Heart Food for Valentine's Day.
Happy Valentine's Day!