I like you.
You're reading my blog, and we're not even related. And because you've done something nice for me, I'd like to return the favor. So I'm going to invite you to empty your pockets on November 19th.
That's right. Empty your pockets. On November 19th, Miami will be experiencing a citywide Giving Day. Everyone in the city is invited to contribute, and hundreds of different organizations have stepped forward to participate. But the most important person who will be raking in the benefits on November 19th is you.
Here are the perks of giving, my friend.
1. You'll get a crash course in what matters in Miami. Last year, a whopping 520 organizations participated in the day. If you're looking to learn about the needs and opportunities in your city and you want a one-stop shop where the information is at your fingertips, this is the greatest resource to hit your laptop. Make sure to visit www.GiveMiamiDay.org on the 19th to see what all the hype is about, and to immerse yourself in the issues and changemaking happening around you.
2. You'll improve the city you live in. Sure, it's paradise here for most of the year. But this isn't just a city for tourists and festival-goers. We actually live here. The future of our schools? The health of our residents? The opportunities we give for people to overcome poverty? We inherit whatever city we build for ourselves. Philanthropy can't just be something for the rich or the dying.
3. It's an invitation to be a part of the conversation. One of the great benefits of living in a young city is how much easier it is to partake in the shaping of the future. Ways are not as entrenched, and the environment is highly receptive to newcomers. Test it. Go on twitter on November 19th and start tweeting about #GiveMiamiDay. See how quickly you can become engaged just by showing up and participating. If you've been wanting to find your way into the conversation about the future of Miami, this is your personal invitation. And if you're already involved, consider yourself a co-host. Invite your friends. This is our city, and the more people who join in, the better.
4. Did somebody say Block Party? Now if I'm really being honest, I've never been to a block party. But a block party for a cause is almost within my comfort zone. Sign up with this link, and get yourself onto that guest list.
5. You'll get bragging rights. Give Miami Day raised more than $5,000,000 in a single day last year for hundreds of causes, from more than 20,000 people. It was a massive display of the connectedness and generosity of our city. Sure, we're gorgeous. But this city has substance. And so do you.
6. It will make you better looking. If you haven't heard it before, let me be the one to share the news. Research indicates that giving to others is the secret ticket to increased health, happiness, success, and even attractiveness. It builds gratitude. Resilience. A strengthened network. If you can't muster the giving spirit for the sake of bettering the world, do it because you're vain.
Join in. Show what you care about. Shape the future of this young town. We'll all benefit, but I'm willing to bet the one who will gain the most is you.
*And a huge thanks to The Miami Foundation for hosting Give Miami Day. Your work is transformational. See you at the Block Party.