Grandma's Pie is a classic that should be more commonplace. In the video above chef Bobby Hellen of GG's shows his recipe. So watch the video above and use the elements below to make your own!
Grandma's Pie Elements
by Chef Bobby Hellen of GG's
1 lb AP flour
2oz whole wheat flour
20 grams of salt
3.5 grams of fresh yeast
13oz water (warm)
11.5 grams sugar
1. Mix warm (not hot) water with yeast and sugar for 10 minutes in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add flour and salt to the mixing bowl and mix until dough ball forms. All sides of the bowl should be clean and no flour should be sitting on the bottom of the mixer.
3. Portion dough onto an oiled surface. Place in a large plastic bag or on a covered tray and let rest for 24 hours in the fridge.
4. When ready, let the dough ball sit out until it comes to just under room temperature
5. Stretch the dough to fit an oiled metal pan.
6. Cover with plastic and let sit until the dough doubles in size and reaches the plastic wrap.
7. When proofed mix equal parts tomato sauce with water to lightly glaze the top of the dough and then drain. Bake in oven until crisp on bottom.
1 can Plum Tomatos
8 pc vine ripe fresh tomatoes
3 whole red onions
6 cloves whole garlic
3T dried oregano
2 pcs dried bay leaf
1T brown sugar
1 bunch fresh basil
¼ bunch fresh thyme
¼ bunch fresh tarragon
¼ bunch fresh rosemary
- Clean and cut all vegestables
- Add clean fresh and canned tomatoes to food processor and blend.
- Add red onions to food processor and blend until lumpy paste but not liquid, do the same with garlic and all fresh herbs(which might need a little olive oil to blend) but keep all separate.
- In a large stock pot add a generous amount of olive oil to cover the bottom of the pot and add the onions and garlic. Stir consistently
- After the onions loose some liquid add the garlic and let cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the fresh and dried herbs.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until everything comes together and starts to sweat but not caramelize.
- Add the tomato product and cook for up but not longer then three hours.