Guard Shot At U.S. Census Bureau In Maryland, Police Injured In Pursuit

A man who allegedly kidnapped a woman and then shot a guard at the U.S. Census Bureau in Suitland, Maryland, was arrested after leading police on a wild chase through the streets of Washington D.C. on Thursday night.

The guard, identified as Lawrence Buckner, later died, Prince George's Hospital Center spokeswoman Erika Murray told The Associated Press.

At least one police officer was also injured during the pursuit of the suspect.

Buckner was shot in the upper body shortly after 6 p.m. local time, Prince George’s County fire department spokesman Mark Brady said. He died at the hospital less than two hours later.

The string of incidents is believed to have begun when the armed suspect kidnapped a woman around 5:30 p.m. in the area of 3rd and T Street NE, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier and Mayor Muriel Bowser said at a briefing. The suspect then drove with the victim to the Census Bureau, WUSA reported. The guard was shot as he approached a vehicle with two people fighting inside, CNN's Steve Brusk said.

Law enforcement swarmed the facility and locked down all entrances as they conducted their investigation, WUSA reported. A witness reported hearing "at least 10" shots in during the incident. Loud blasts could be heard on the campus as police continued their search, WNEW's Bill Rehkopf reported. The suspect fled the scene in the vehicle.

Police spotted the suspect's vehicle approximately 10 miles away in Washington D.C., and gave chase after gunshots were exchanged, WNEW reported.

The suspect allegedly fired on law enforcement multiple times before crashing the car into police cruisers, CNN reported.

The chase ended when the gunman was shot at 11th and H Streets, officials said. A Metropolitan police officer was also shot, and others possibly injured during the chase.

Lanier said the suspect was conscious and breathing. The nature of the officer's injuries were not known, but D.C Council member Charles Allen said the officer was expected to be "ok." Officials said that the situation had ended by 9 p.m., and that it was not believed to be connected to terrorism.