Which of the following statements would you say you agree with?
Pick as many as you like. My answer is at the bottom.
1. Better gun control is essential to curb gun violence.
2. Islamic jihadism is a dangerous ideology that must be fought.
3. Guns should not be banned or confiscated.
4. Muslims should not be harassed or discriminated against just because they're Muslim.
5. We should aggressively criticize and even satirize the problematic aspects of Islam (the religion), as we would with any other religion or political ideology.
6. Day-to-day gun violence is more deadly than Islamic terrorism right now because it has killed many more people.
7. Islamic terrorism is more deadly than day-to-day gun violence, because if it actually succeeds in its stated goals (such as obtaining weapons of mass destruction as ISIS wants to do), it will kill millions more.
8. Anyone who kills innocents to advance a religious/political agenda is a terrorist -- this could include Muslims, far-right Christian abortion clinic bombers, radical leftists from the 1960s, Jews, Hindus, and atheists.
9. Islamic terrorism is the most deadly form of terrorism in the world today.
10. Anyone who is mentally disturbed or disgruntled and shoots up his school or workplace is a criminal, but is not a terrorist -- even if he's Muslim.
11. All Islamic terrorists are Muslim.
12. The vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists, and should not have to apologize for the few that are.
13. The few Muslims that do commit terrorist acts do so in complete accordance with a plausible, legitimate interpretation of the Islamic religion.
14. Islamic jihadists are motivated by many legitimate grievances like US foreign policy and the nagging remnants of Western imperialism.
15. Islamic jihadists are motivated by Islamic doctrine, the words of the Quran and hadith, and the promise of an afterlife, eternally, in Paradise.
16. Islamic imperialism (whether the 7th century Arab kind or the Ottoman kind) has done just as much harm (if not more) to the world than Western imperialism.
All of them.
None of these points contradict each other. Go ahead and read through them again.
Gun violence, Islamic terrorism, and anti-Muslim bigotry are all real, serious problems that need to be faced head-on. It's disingenuous to be in denial about one or the other just because you have a certain political affiliation. These don't have to be conservative or liberal issues. Don't make them be.
#Solidarity with the victims and their families in San Bernardino.