The fall and winter holiday season is my favorite time of year. Everyone seems a bit nicer, the weather is cooler, and you take time to see family and friends. If you love food it can also be a nice excuse to “pig out” on your favorite treats that you only see around the holidays. This doesn’t have to mean you add inches to your waistline and harm your health.
Never fear, what most people don’t realize is that the holidays don’t have to be unhealthy. There are healthier alternatives to our holiday favorites that will keep you and your guest fit and still bring you accolades as a host.
One of which is the main dish! Having a plant based turkey is still delicious!
Some of my favorites are:
1. Quorn Turkey Roll is delicious and gluten free! It’s an excellent main dish and I love it stuffed! Quorn Turkey Roll also makes wonder left-over “turkey sandwiches”, soups and as a substitute for anything that calls for “turkey”. It’s also very moist and add veggie gravy for the full effect.
2. Gardein- The Gardein Holiday Roast comes already stuffed and has an incredible flavor and texture. The also make a smaller Savory Stuffed Turkey in a bag that is just as yummy! Both come with gravy so add some delicious sides and you are ready to go!
3. Tofurky- The ones who were some of the originators of plant based main dishes! But, this is not your mother’s Tofurky! It’s flavorful and rich in protein. The perfect centerpiece for a family meal!
4. Vegetarian Plus- The Vegetarian Plus Vegan Whole Turkey looks like a turkey, but its plant based and cholesterol free! This main dish comes with fried rice stuffing for something unique. It’s a main dish that vegans, vegetarians and omnivores will all enjoy!
5. Field Roast- Field Roast has several options. Their Celebration Roast comes with bread stuffing and porcini mushroom gravy. Field Roast also makes the vegetarian Hazelnut Cranberry Roast En Croute. It’s wrapped in a delicious puff pastry and stuffed with veggie sausages, crystallized ginger, cranberries and apples. It full of flavor and has a sophisticated presentation. The newest creation from Field Roast is the Smokey Foragers Roast with Pineapple Mustard Glaze. The roast has bread and rice stuffing that also includes foraged chanterelle mushrooms and wild huckleberries.
All of these vegetarian and vegan choices are a great way to truly celebrate a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!
Michelle Harris is the host of the national lifestyle television series, Alive & Well and one of the top experts in health and beauty. Visit www.aliveandwell.tv for more information!