An Idaho woman lived a mother’s nightmare Monday when she found herself locked out of a burning mobile home where her three children were trapped inside.
Heather Green was smoking outside of her home in Twin Falls Monday when one of her two young sons pushed the door shut, the Twin Falls Times News reports. The door was locked from the inside with a deadbolt, and moments later, the mobile home was on fire, according to KTVB.
A fire official later determined that a space heater, not Green’s cigarette, started the blaze.
Green and neighbors tried to get the children to unlock the door, then tried to force their way into the trailer, all to no avail. The R.V. park manager, Gary Zimmers, was able to break a window and pull Green’s 3-year-old daughter, Amiyah, to safety. Her two boys — 1-year-old Damion and 4-year-old Kayden — were still trapped in the flaming home.
Unable to get to her sons, Green talked to the boys, comforting them and telling them she loved them, until she was unable to hear them any longer. They were later pronounced dead at a hospital.
Green and her daughter are receiving temporary housing, food and clothing from the American Red Cross. An account for donations to the family has also been set up at Farmers National Bank under the name “Gina Johnson, care of Heather Green.”