U.S. News

Hickey Paralyzes Woman

The next time you find yourself getting intimate, be sure to cover your neck -- a hickey might be more dangerous than you thought.

That's right, a woman in New Zealand suffered a small stroke that partially paralyzed her after receiving a hickey -- or as the Kiwis call it, a "love bite" -- from her eager bedfellow, reported New Zealand Medical Journal.

At first, doctors struggled to find the cause of the stroke, until they discovered a small "bruise" on the woman's neck -- located very close to a major artery.

The force of the hickey-giver's suction had caused a blood clot in the artery, which then travelled to the woman's heart, doctors told the The Press. The woman made a full recovery.

Popular in the Community