What the world says is right, is not always what's right for you. I've come to realize this over the years in many different situations. It's a tough lesson; society is built in a way to imprint its beliefs on us.
Here's how it works. There's the collective consciousness, you could call it society, the world, etc., and then there's your individual consciousness. Your reality is created, to some degree, by one or the other, or both, depending on how much of the collective you accept and absorb. In other words, you can allow the collective to create your world or you can form your own beliefs and create your own world.
As a child I wanted so much to fit in and be like everyone else, and over time I've come to see that it is a waste of energy. As I've moved through life, I've had many instances where these lessons had to be learned, only to bring me back to myself and the voice that's always been there saying, "Honor your own path;" Create my own consciousness, create my own world.
When we take our own stance, we sometimes go through a period where we believe our understandings to be wrong. Remember, there is no such thing as right or wrong, only the Way. The Way is your own individual truth, the place in your where there is no judgment. It's just a matter of figuring out what is right for you.
Here are some examples of truth as it stands for me, which do not always follow the collective consciousness:
- Relationships and marriages don't have to be forever. Friendships too. We change and grow over time; it's hard pressed to find someone who grows at the same pace and in the same direction. That's okay, we all have individual paths to learning and don't need to be besties the whole way.
- Business and marketing techniques and trends don't work for every industry, especially a business based in Spirit. I've tried to make my business fit the mold of internet marketing, writing sales copy after sales copy to fit the formats suggested, and pushing from a place of fear of what you don't have. I get that that works in many circles, but that doesn't work for me anymore. While it brought me lots of clients and money, it didn't always bring me the kinds of clients that I wanted to work with.
- One diet does not fit every body type. I've tried them all. Also, I don't believe carbs make you fat. I don't believe that coffee is bad. I don't believe that any one thing is bad. It's about finding what works for you.
- More __________ (money, friends, houses, education) does not equal happiness. I had the house, husband, job, education, and I felt empty. I still would like to enjoy all those things when the time is right, but not without a foundation of joy and happiness from within.
- Just because I'm a woman does not mean I would be happier with a husband and children. Oh man, I struggled with this a lot. I am finally resolved to say I would be happy either way with a child or without, because I am happy no matter what. And the same thing with having a man in my life.
- Monogamy isn't for everyone. Polyamory has its perks, too. This can put some people off, but really, I believe you find the relationship structure that works for you so long as it doesn't intentionally hurt others and is consensual.
- I am completely safe and fine traveling alone in a foreign country. We like to believe that foreign territory is scary. I'll tell you what, living in America is darn right scarier. We have more guns per person, more shootings, more car accidents, and kids who shoot up schools. I think I'm fine going to a country where they just pickpocket my iPhone.
- "Spiritual" doesn't have to look like a yogini driving an electric vehicle and wearing vibrams. I rock my makeup, heels and I am sooo not into yoga. It is what it is for you. All looks, all feels, so long as it's authentic and real. I also have a hard time reading spiritual and personal growth books and like to take advisement directly from my guides.
So what's your path? What are you honoring in yourself that's completely different from the mainstream collective consciousness? I'd love to hear it. It helps me too :-).
If you're ready to know your truth and create yourself from that truth, then this is an invite to the Staton Ann School of Creative Thought. We will, through advanced meditative and healing techniques channeled through my Spiritual Guides, connect you to yourself and your spiritual support, then create a version of you that is in integrity with your Way; honoring your unique path. Classes begin Aug 17, 2014 in Hawaii. Hope to see you there.