This pull through braid technique allows you to create the look of a French braid on yourself or your kids without braiding at all. If you can create a ponytail, you can replicate this hairstyle in minutes. As far as hairstyles go, it doesn't get much easier than this.
To create this look we recommend these products:
Sam Villa Volume & Texturizing Iron: If you don't have that perfect thick and voluminous hair that holds a hairstyle with ease, you'll want to pre-texturize your hair with this micro crimping iron. Use this before braiding to increase the volume of each hair strand up to 3X its normal size. The added texture will also make your hair more pliable, which will keep your hairstyle from falling out during the day.
Sam Villa Tail Comb: Ideal for creating clean sections and for combing out the hair.
Finally, you'll need some hair elastics, about 4 hairpins and a few long bobby pins.
Watch the how to video below and scroll down to view our step by step tutorial:
1. Use your tail comb to create a small triangle section of hair from the corners of your forehead to your crown and tie it in a ponytail using a small hair elastic.
3. Clip the first ponytail up and out of the way then tie a second ponytail under the first.
4. Release the top ponytail and divide it in half.
5. Bring the bottom ponytail up through the split top ponytail and clip it up out of the way.
6. Tie another ponytail under the second. But this time, you're going to add hair to each side of the ponytail before securing with another small hair elastic.
7. Release the second ponytail that was clipped away and divide it in half. Notice how you're always working with two ponytails. Simple, right?
8. Bring the bottom ponytail up through the split and clip it out of the way. Now you are going to tie your next ponytail, remembering to add hair from each side of the ponytail before securing with an elastic. Keep repeating these steps until you reach the nape.
9. When you reach the nape, secure your final ponytail adding any remaining hair. Now that you're finished with the "French Braiding" section you will continue with a regular pull through braid.
10. Release the top ponytail that was clipped away and tie a hair elastic about 2 inches below the previous elastic.
11. Use your index and middle fingers to split that section and create an opening. Pull the ponytail from the bottom through the opening so now it becomes the top ponytail. Repeat this until you run out of hair then finish by securing with one last hair elastic.
12. Finally, let's make this braid look chic by gently pulling the braid on each side to make it wider and messier.
Optional: You can leave the hair down in a ponytail or use some hairpins and bobby pins to tuck the ends under and create a beautiful updo!
At Sam Villa, we love to share our hairstyling tutorials with our fans! Make sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive our free weekly videos and also follow us on Instagram for quick tips and tricks to make styling your hair easier. Finally, remember to tag us on Instagram so we can see your work #samvilla.