HuffPost may receive a share from purchases made via links on this page.
There’s one summer shoe for guys that rules them all. It’s officially boat shoe season, and while we love the look of freshly pressed chinos and slip-on shoes as much as the next guy, there’s a common complaint about this al-fresco outfit that we hear and, er, smell. After a long, hot summer, boat shoes produce their signature “Sperry Stink.”
Because boat shoes have a breathable leather material, it makes them some of the best shoes for guys to wear without socks. After all, there’s a reason they’re Zappos’ best-selling shoe for men year after year. But like any other shoe you wear almost daily, they can stink up if you don’t take care of them. The good news is there are plenty of easy things you can do to get rid of stinky feet and keep your boat shoes looking and smelling fresh.
Easy Ways To Prevent Boat Shoes From Smelling:
- Wash your feet properly after each wear
- Use a foot antiperspirant like Carpe foot lotion or a crystal deodorant stick
- Put powder, like Dr. Scholl’s Soothing Foot Powder, on every time you wear the shoes
- Swap out the insoles for an odor-fighting pair of shoe insoles
- Wear no-show socks made for boat shoes
- Place deodorizing charcoal sachets in your shoes overnight
- Invest in a second pair and alternate
When sweat gets trapped inside your shoes, bacteria begin to form in the moist environment, which can result in an odor. The trick to fresh feet is keeping your shoes free of moisture by using antiperspirant, powder and letting your shoes dry properly after each wear.
Below, we’ve rounded up some of the best-selling products to keep your boat shoes feeling fresh and avoid the dreaded “Sperry Stink.” If you want more of our editor-sourced products and reviews, sign up for HuffPost’s sales and deals newsletter.
Take a look below: