Raising a kid, it can be argued, is harder than ever. Parents face scary realities on a daily basis — from bullying and gun violence to the influence of social media and tricky conversations about tough topics in the news. How can we help them navigate it all and grow up to be the kinds of kids we’d be proud to be friends with when they’re adults: honest, respectful, empathetic, resilient, intelligent, curious, self-sufficient, creative. In short: not assholes.
So at the beginning of this year, HuffPost Parents had a pipe dream that we could convene a group of like-minded parents to discuss how we find support as we raise the next generation of leaders.
Now, that dream becomes a reality, as we convene at The William Vale Hotel in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for our one-day event called How To Raise A Kid. The event is aimed primarily at parents of kids who have survived the baby years and now have children who are starting to navigate the world on their own.
We’ll start with a welcome by journalist and fellow mom Alicia Menendez, followed by a chat with our editor-in-chief, Lydia Polgreen, and soccer star Abby Wambach.
Throughout the day, we’ll have four dynamic, engaging panels, as detailed below:
- How To Raise A Kid Who’s Stronger Than A Bully, featuring: Ryan Beale, Dr. Elizabeth Englander, Kirk Smalley, and Deborah Pope, and moderated by Eric Snow
- How To Raise A Screen-Savvy Kid, featuring: Titania Jordan, Angela Santomero, Sada Malladi and Jill Murphy, and moderated by Nicole Dreiske
- How To Raise A Kid Who Understands Sex, Consent & Gender, featuring: Carvell Wallace, Kim Cavill, Jeanette Jennings and Sarah Rich, moderated by Doyin Richards
- How To Raise A Kid Who’s At Home In The World, featuring: Melissa Bernstein, Andrea Beaty, Christopher Albrecht and Dr. Tammy Wilborn, moderated by Corinne Zola
Some of what we’ll be talking about:
- How To Talk About Gun Safety With Other Parents
- How To Talk To Kids About School Safety Without Scaring Them
- 5 Little Ways To Show Your Kids The Importance Of Mental Health
- How Sex Educators Talk To Their Sons About Consent
- How To Raise A Creative Kid
- Parents Share The Screen Time Rules That Actually Work For Them
- How To Raise Kids Who Care About Other People
- 25 Children’s Books That Celebrate Differences
- How To Teach Your Kids About Other Cultures
- How To Actually Teach Your Kid The Value Of Money
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Addiction
- 5 Realistic Ways To Get The Most Out Of Family Dinnertime
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Porn
- How To Talk To Kids About Periods