by Jenée Naquin
You and your partner were drawn to each other by your shared wanderlust. No place was too far, exotic or dirty for your insatiable appetite of adventure. Now that there is a baby in the mix, get a passport, stat! The wanderlust must continue. Traveling with a baby takes a little extra planning to make sure everyone is safe and having fun. Here's my top 5 tips to getting it together and getting out in the world.
- Get it sooner than later. It will be one last thing you have to worry about when planning a trip.
- If you insist on letting the direction of the wind lead you where you may, unless it's a sailing adventure, then this article is not for you. A little planning goes a long way with a baby in tow.
While planning the fun stuff, take some time to plan for the What Ifs.
- Consider looking at some of these sites for any red alerts or health concerns: Travel Warnings,Center for Disease Control (hello, Zika). Also call your health insurance provider to know what is covered out of the country and if you should consider travel insurance.
4. Luggage and Packing
Face it, for now, you have to haul more stuff. While it's a pain to lug this stuff around, it would be more of a pain to be a million miles from home without it and no way to procure it.
- Pack the family in one large suitcase and check it curbside. The secret to enjoying travel with children is convenience - Think security lines, going to the restroom...running to catch your flight! Most airlines will check your car seat, stroller and baby carrier at the curb or gate for FREE. Check with your airline before you go.
5. Surviving the Flight
- Put your baby in night time diapers. When the fasten seatbelt sign is on and you are stuck in your seat, they will buy you some extra time.
You have done a lot of work to get here. Now try to relax, make beautiful memories and show your offspring what a pleasure it is to travel the world. You might be in bed/hotel room every night at 8 ..... But on this vacation, take the time to catch up on your sleep, read a book or spend some alone time with your partner.
This piece was originally published by Jenée Paquin on Well Rounded NY. Jenée Naquin is a Fashion Brand Builder, an Adventure Seeker and now, Mother. She resides in Brooklyn with her toddler and husband navigating a Cajun-Jewish household. Just before giving birth, she helped launch a new fashion company 1 Atelier which is Redefining Luxury. She always makes time for a great adventure from staycations to the exotic, now with baby in tow. Growing up Cajun, making it in New York and figuring out how to raise a healthy interfaith family takes a lot of "Jenée" Sais Quoi which she pens on her personal blog jeneesaisquoi.com and photo documents on Instagram.
Please share your opinion below! For more original content, check out Well Rounded NY.
Follow Well Rounded NY on Twitter