Labor day is upon us! Not only does it mark the end of sweet, sweet summer, but it offers up yet another opportunity to stuff our faces with holiday food while surrounded by friends and family. A New Englander at heart, one thing I knew I would miss when I went vegan nearly a decade ago was the lobster roll. Below is a recipe for a vegan lobster roll that certainly challenges the real deal.
Hearts of Palm Lobster Rolls
Pre time 5 minutes | Cook time 15 minutes |Serves 2
Recipe by Ayinde Howell
2 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil
1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm (not packed with sugar), rough chopped to consistency of crab meat
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 (6-inch) hoagie rolls
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hearts of palm and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool. Add the celery and peppers and mix well.
2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Remove from the heat and add the onion mixture to the hearts of palm. Mix well. Add the Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, and mayo.
4. Toast the hoagie rolls until gold brown, then butter the insides.
5. Divide the hearts of palm mixture between both rolls. Serve warm with wedges of lemon.
Recipe from The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.