Real Life. Real News. Real Voices.
Help us tell more of the stories that matter from voices that too often remain unheard.
Join HuffPost Plus

Mortified By Vacation Photos, Brian Noonan Lost 144 Pounds

Name: Brian Noonan
Age: 51
Height: 6'5"
Before Weight: 378.8 pounds (Yes, I'm that specific.)

How I Gained It: I have always been fat. I think it started the day I was born. I came out weighing 9 pounds 9 ounces, and I just kept growing. Since I was always taller than my classmates, the "he's a growing boy" justification helped me continue overeating.

As an adult, there was no one telling me to stop, so if I wanted to eat an entire pizza in one sitting, I did. Due to my job as a stand-up comic, I had a lot of time during the day and I would find myself grazing. Every time I passed the kitchen I would grab a little something, whether I was hungry or not. A meal wasn't over until I was physically uncomfortable. I would eat until I couldn't eat anymore. That desire to feel full was combined with a love of sweets, especially ice cream and cookies. One scoop or one cookie was never enough.

I also did a lot of overeating at night. After shows, I would have a few beers and lots of fast-food, convenience-store burritos, cookies and whatever else was handy, and then it was off to bed. I never was a big fruit or vegetable eater either, except for an occasional salad and the onions, lettuce and pickles on my burgers.

Breaking Point: My wife, daughter and I had returned from a vacation I had truly enjoyed. When I looked at the pictures, I was mortified and embarrassed. Who was that blob trying to use his daughter to cover him in the pictures?

Although I had told myself I had to lose weight on numerous occasions, this time was different. I looked into a few different diet plans and told my wife that this time I really needed to lose the weight. I had horrible back and knee pain, I wasn't enjoying my life, and I wasn't sure I'd live to see my daughter go to college and live her life.

How I Lost It: My wife told me she had bought a Weight Watchers program a few years before. She dug it out of the closet and literally blew the dust off the books. That was on Saturday, July 9, 2011. That weekend I made the preparations and on Monday morning, I took the first step on my journey.

I was very strict with myself and the program, because I knew that I needed to see results quickly in order to stay interested. I gave up pizza all together, saving it for a reward for losing 50 pounds. When I hit that milestone, I gave it up again until I reached 75 pounds. I documented everything I ate and how much weight I lost.

The hardest part was portion size. Realizing that a serving was not something that would fill an entire plate was a shock. Since I was weighing most of my food, I learned how much I should be eating compared with the huge amounts of the same food I had eaten in the past.

I used to drink three or more Pepsis a day. Since I began my journey I can count on one hand the number of Pepsis I've had. I drink water almost exclusively. I've really enjoyed adding more fruits, vegetables and fish to my diet. I can fill up on them and feel healthy instead of uncomfortable.

At first, I was only able to walk around my subdivision. I'd walk a couple blocks and be in so much pain in my back and knees. But as time went on, the pain decreased and my speed increased and then my distance. I found it a pleasure to take my two dogs with me. They seemed to enjoy it as well, since regular walks hadn't been possible before. Soon, 10- to 15-minute walks grew to one-hour walks.

When I was down 112 pounds, in March 2012, I joined a gym. I hadn't been to a gym regularly in over 10 years, so walking in the first morning was daunting. Part of my new membership included four sessions with a personal trainer, which both scared and excited me. I didn't want some super-fit person seeing what a doughy weakling I was. On the other hand, I knew they could provide me with a program that would not only improve the effects of my workouts, but help me learn my way around the machines.

I talked to a couple of the trainers, but didn't get the right vibe until my neighbor put me in touch with Denise, who took time to learn about my transformation, where I hoped to go and what type of program I was looking for. She understood that at that time, I was only expecting to come to the gym about three times a week for an hour, and that I wasn't looking for a full-time trainer. Denise designed a program that would work my entire body with a bit of cardio and weight training. She gave me great instructions for all the machines and a lot of encouragement. I have sessions with her every few months to change my program. I'm at the point now where I am at the gym six days a week, which is still hard for me to believe. There are still mornings when I want to hit the snooze button and skip my workout, but I remember how easy it is to make skipping the gym a habit, so I get out of bed and go.

Now that I've stabilized my weight and am working out a lot harder, I can bring some things back into my diet with moderation. I'll enjoy a nice craft beer rather than a light one. I'll have pizza once or twice a month, but limit how much I eat. On rare occasions, I'll have fries when I'm out to dinner. I'm more observant about everything I eat which is something I never was before.

After Weight: 234.5 pounds
The Huffington Post publishes photographs as they are submitted to us by our readers. As told to Sarah Klein.

Got a success story of your own? Send it to us at and you could be featured in our I Lost Weight series!

Check out more of our inspiring weight loss stories below:

Weight Loss Success Stories