Aging is an unstoppable part of your life. There are many cosmetic creams and medical procedures which help you retain your youthful appearance a little longer. But I am sure, all of you, just like me, are looking for an easier way. So, how about trying some simple home remedies which can work wonders on your skin and appearance? Sounds interesting doesn't it?
Over the years, I have tried various home remedies and made a list of the few which have actually worked, and worked wonders at that.
Here I am, giving away all my secrets to you!
1. Antioxidant oils. Certain fruits, flowers and seeds are known to have high antioxidant properties which can help prevent aging. Pomegranates are known to be rich in antioxidants and so are sunflowers. Pomegranate and sunflower oils help not only by repairing the damage but also by preventing future damage.
2. A simple cleansing regimen. I have always made it a point to remove all make up as soon as I come back home and to cleanse my face before I go to bed. A mild cleanser followed by a moisturizer helps keep the pores clean and the skin to breathe. This helps improve the circulation and keeps the skin young and radiant.
3. Lemons. Vitamin C is known to be highly beneficial to the skin. At the same time, the juice of lemons have a bleaching effect and that leads to decreased age spots. The freckles caused by sun exposure and aging also reduce, thus giving way to clear skin.
4. Olive oil. Every time I try to look for any home remedy or health tips, this is the one name that pops up. Olive oil not only works great when used in salads and foods, it is also a miracle drug for skin ailments. Olive oil provides nutrition to the skin and brings out a natural glow to the skin. It also lightens wrinkles and age spots.
5. Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera is a great medicinal plant. The extract from aloe vera is used in most of the skin care creams and moisturisers available in the market. It improves the elasticity of the skin and also tightens the pores. This gives skin a youthful look. It also reduces wrinkles and acne marks.
6. Egg whites. Egg whites are rich in nutrients which work towards repairing the damage caused by free radicals. They improve the hydration of the skin and increase its elasticity. This helps in reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Applying a thin layer of egg white and washing off after 15 minutes on a regular basis can improve the appearance significantly.
7. Face packs. There are several face packs that can be used as an anti-aging measure. I try to add honey into all of my face packs as honey is a wonderful antiseptic and moisturiser at the same time. Other things that can be added to face packs are bananas, milk, almonds and tomatoes.
8. Quit smoking and alcohol. Smoking and consuming alcohol can age your skin rapidly. Both these substances release a lot of free radicals which bring about tissue damage. It not only ages the skin, but also the body.
9. Water. Water is the best way to hydrate your skin and also flush out all the toxins from the body. Drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water every day helps in removing all the toxins in the body and thus reducing tissue damage. This helps in preserving the youthfulness of the skin. At the same time, it also hydrates the skin, leading to reduced occurrence of wrinkles and fine lines.
10. Sleep. Last but not the least, sleep! It is called the beauty sleep for a reason. Sleep at least 8 hours every day so that your skin can repair itself from the damage caused by the sun and pollutants in the day.
Well, these are some of my secrets. They may not sound like too much but when followed properly, they work like a magic potion.
Try them, and start looking 20 years younger and make heads turn. It is time for you to enjoy all the stares and enquiring glances, as I do at 71...YES, I said 71!!!