The Blog

I Take 'Detox Your Home' Very Personally -- So Should You

Does that sound like a recipe for disaster? We have no idea what the long-term effects of these chemicals are. But from what we can see so far, they're not good.
This post was published on the now-closed HuffPost Contributor platform. Contributors control their own work and posted freely to our site. If you need to flag this entry as abusive, send us an email.

This is the first generation that may not live as long as their parents. Childhood illness and obesity has more than tripled over the past few decades. Yet only 10 percent of cancers are genetic. The other 90 percent are linked to environmental and lifestyle factors. Could there be a connection between chemicals and this dramatic increase in sickness?

Our children are exposed to more and more chemicals in their food, in soap and shampoo, in their clothing, in the products you clean your house with... The list goes on and on.

Does that sound like a recipe for disaster? We have no idea what the long-term effects of these chemicals are. But from what we can see so far, they're not good.

Take triclosan, for example. It's a very common ingredient in anti-bacterial soap, toothpaste, and shampoo. At Cancer Schmancer, we've been sounding the alarm about it for years. And guess what? Just this month, a study found a link between triclosan and cancer and liver fibrosis in mice.

That's why it's up to us to take control. Don't put anything IN your mouth, ON your skin, or AROUND your home if you don't know what's in it. Very simple rule.

I believe that we can change things with the power of consumerism. Manufacturers will sell what you buy. So only buy products that are healthy, and they will get the message.

But in order to have the most effect, we've got to start these healthy habits as early as possible. The longer you're exposed to these things, the greater your risk of getting sick. That's why Cancer Schmancer is focused on teaching children how to reduce their risk of cancer.

Our "Detox Your Home" school program will give children tools to identify potential toxins and find alternatives, along with education on healthy eating, exercise, and stress reduction. The goal is to give them longer lives of higher quality.

And hopefully this effect will snowball. The healthy kids of today grow into the healthy parents of tomorrow, who will in turn pass those habits down the line. Our hope is to wipe out cancer in the next generation. It may sound like a lofty goal, but who ever got anywhere dreaming small? Am I right?

Preventing cancer is very personal to me. I'm a uterine cancer survivor. I was mistreated and misdiagnosed for two years by eight different doctors before I got a proper diagnosis. Fortunately, I had a radical hysterectomy that saved my life, and I've been well for many years now.

At the time of my surgery, I was in love with a man and was hoping to have children with him. So you can imagine how devastating the news was.

But you don't get to choose the hand life deals you. You only get to choose how to play it. So I turned my pain into purpose, wrote the book Cancer Schmancer, and am trying to prevent what happened to me from happening to other people.

Perhaps if I had known what I was exposing myself to as a teenager, I wouldn't have needed that surgery. I wasn't able to have children with the man I loved then, but I can help you protect your kids.

So that's why the "Detox Your Home" program has a special place in my heart. I hope everyone reading this will help us reach our goal.

Please visit to learn more and to support us. Thank you!

Popular in the Community