Annoyed about the Krispy Kreme deal that gives free donuts to people vaccinated against COVID-19, a New Jersey gym owner decided to offer free memberships to people who refuse to get vaccinated.
Ian Smith, who owns Atilis Gym in Bellmawr with Frank Trumbetti, made the offer earlier this week:
Last summer, Smith and Trumbetti were arrested for keeping their facility open, in defiance of a state order requiring that indoor gyms be closed. Although a New Jersey borough council later voted to revoke the gym’s business license, it re-opened anyway.
Last December, Smith bragged that he had racked up $1.2 million in fines for ignoring COVID-19 regulations.
Earlier this year, Smith was banned from American Airlines for refusing to wear a mask on his flight home after speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Orlando.
Folks on Twitter had plenty to say about his offer:
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Is it safe to see people who have gotten the coronavirus vaccine?
- What it means if your partner tests positive for COVID-19 but you don’t.
- How worried should you be about the new strains of coronavirus?
- The unexpected challenges of co-parenting during a pandemic.
- 19 things we took for granted pre-pandemic but now miss.
- Find all that and more on our coronavirus hub page.
Do you have information you want to share with HuffPost? Here’s how.