If you grew up with an older brother, then you'll understand what it is like to have someone constantly looking over you like a hawk. That may sound like a bad thing, but it definitely has its pros and cons.
Here are seven things that you will relate to if you have an older brother like I do.
1. Dating? Yeah don't even try. To my brother, the thought of his younger sister having a boyfriend was clearly not an option. However, he could always tell if they were a good one or not. (Update: he still hasn't found that yet.) But, it is nice knowing that I have someone who will always have my back.
2. Oh you're his little sister?! If I had a dollar for every time someone says, "No way! You're so and so's little sister?!" then I would have a lifetime of Chipotle. People always seem to be amazed when they figure out that I am his little sister, like they just solved some mystery.
3. The day he lets you play video games with him. This is when you know that you have reached your ultimate sibling goals. When my brother would let me play Halo with him, I knew that his love for me was more important than causing him to lose his "kill streak". It didn't happen often, but when it did I felt like I reached the cool younger sister status.
4. His best friend becomes your older brother too. My brother's best friend growing up was always around, so naturally he became protective over me, too. My brother's best friend now goes to the same college as me, and still wants to beat up any guy that seems to be looking at me. Having one older brother is nice, but two counts for high security bodyguards.
5. They teach you how to be tough. When I was four years old my brother thought it was time to teach me how to defend myself if someone ever tried to touch me. He simply told me to "grab, pull, and twist." From the day I can remember he has always been my protector.
6. They tell you how it is. Older brothers can tend to be brutally honest. But don't we all need that sometimes? If I am doing something wrong, or maybe just being a stupid college student, he is the one to tell me straight up to get my self together. Yeah sure, it might piss me off in the moment, but at the end of the day we all know our older brothers just care too much.
7. A guaranteed best friend. You grow up together and live in the same house for 18 years. Throughout these years, you fight, laugh, and create stupid inside jokes. But it makes for a great life-long best friend that you can always rely on. It can be a love-hate relationship at times, but I wouldn't change it for the world.