Hi all! Before you read on, I want to point out that my Twitter username and Instagram name have changed! Good thing is that they are both the same so they won't be hard to forget - @byingridvasquez
12.9.15 #SongBlogIV (my song of the day): "Long Live The Chief" by Jidenna
In honor of #HumanRightsDay today here's a clip of Jidenna's brand new video that just dropped! The video is reminiscent of a black panther vibe and is by an artist who while may only have one other single under his belt, has collaborated w/ other artists under wondaland records to raise awareness about police brutality and black lives matter.
And because it is Human Rights Day here are a couple of songs with a message:
1. " American Idiot" by Green Day
Billie Joe Armstrong stated that the inspiration behind American Idiot was the feeling that American media was covering the war in Iraq as a reality show and that the human rights of these soldiers was being violated for television viewership and ratings.
2. "American Oxygen" by Rihanna
A modern day song about an old age dream.
3. "Ballad of Hollis Brown" by Rise Against (originally by Bob Dylan)
"The song tells the story of a South Dakota farmer who, overwhelmed by the desperation of poverty, kills his wife, children and then himself." - Huffington Post
The Music Minute:
- SAG Awards: Straight Outta Compton receives a nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: http://www.thewrap.com/2016-sag-awards-the-complete-list-of-nominees-tnt-tbs-anna-faris-anthony-mackie/
- Golden Globes nominations: The nominations are out! Sadly, the hut music N.W.A bio pic did not get any nominations but they are still worth checking out: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/entertainment/golden-globes-nominations-2016-feat/index.html
- Classical music doesn't get a lot of love anymore. I was excited to see the New York Times come up with this "Best of 2015" article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/arts/music/best-classical-music-2015.html?_r=0
Make sure to follow me on twitter & Instagram: @byingridvasquez to get my #SongBlogIV every day of the week (Monday - Sun) (I write about a lot of things so you won't be bored) and invite your friends to read #inthegridmusic exclusively on the Huffington Post.