Located along a 26-mile stretch of the Northwest Florida Coast, South Walton encompasses an unparalleled strand of 16 distinct beach neighborhoods, each with its own traditions, charm and visual style (my favorite: Grayton Beach).
South Walton is renowned for natural scenic beauty, turquoise waters and sugar sand beaches, including one of Travel + Leisure's "Best Beaches on Earth" for families in 2013. An upscale yet casual place to unwind, South Walton is the place to rejuvenate and build lasting memories.
Let's see what you can do in South Walton:
1. I found a real jewel: Rivard of South Walton -"Castle of Dreams", a perfect vacation house, nestled among the sandy pines on a quiet street in popular Grayton Beach. For me, this is a dream come true.
2. In South Walton, summer never ends. You would love the Fashion Week in October, the Baytowne Wharf Beer Festival (with over 200 domestic and international specialty beers) and the 30A Blue Crab Fest (live music and entertainment, cooking demos, art vendors, and most importantly, out-of-this-world crab cuisine).
3. Food lover? Grab a table on the sidewalk at Cowgirl Kitchen in Rosemary Beach. Enjoy breakfast tacos, waffles, salads, chips & dip, homemade pizzas and sweets.
4. My favorite activity: migration of the Monarch Butterflies. As temperatures cool off, Monarch butterflies head for Mexico, and on the way, they always stop in South Walton :)
5. These white sand beaches and the turquoise water are just perfect.
6. Pamper yourself at one of South Walton’s many spas. From facials to massages to tanning services, the area’s skin-care specialists are ready to make you relaxed and beach-ready.
7. Dive into a good book at Sundog Books. The Hidden Lantern also hosts a collection of good reads for you to browse on a rainy day.
8. Up next is a quintessential beach dessert: homemade ice cream, sorbet, or frozen yogurt from The Creamery of Blue Mountain Beach.
9. Hop on a boat for some parasailing, charter fishing, or a sunset cruise. Try your hand at kayaking, wave running, and stand up paddleboarding. Or simply dive in and treat yourself to the exhilaration of a good, old-fashioned swim. The opportunities for water fun are as endless as the water itself.
10. And of course, the way to end any perfect day in South Walton is with a sunset on the beach. A breeze in your hair, sugar-white sand between your toes and the amazing sunset let you know you’ve done today the right way.