We've all been there, right? Overcome by feelings of self-doubt, a lack of confidence in ourselves and what we're really capable of. The difference is whether we choose to stay with these feelings or let them go.
I know, that sounds so easy doesn't it? Just "let it go" and move on. If only life were that simple--or is it?
It's amazing how self doubt can have such a hold on us isn't it? It makes us feel low or worthless, like we're under achieving and just stuck. Unsure of where to go next, what decision to make - will it be for the best? Your body feels tense, tired, headachey and fragile. It's almost like we're a lesser version of our former selves. I've been there I really have and its gruelling. Can anyone else relate?
So how would it feel to banish your inner critic? Do you ever find yourself saying any of the following:
I feel I'm going nowhere - I'm stuck in a rut
I feel I'm letting myself and others down
No one understands me
My head is all over the place
I feel I am up against the world
I feel bored and uninspired
I just can't seem to achieve what I'm striving for
I'll do it tomorrow
I feel unhappy and unfulfilled
I just want to give up - it's not working
I could have tried harder
Starting again will be too hard
I want to feel alive
I want to feel happy at work/home/relationship
I'm nothing compared to...
Connect with the feelings you associate with these statements for a moment - mmm not fun is it. It's time to take back control and manage your mindset. You know you can totally turn these statements around right? It's just your inner critic - it's not the strong you who is a capable of everything you want and more.
So what would it be like to really shake off the doubt and learn new ways of managing your mindset that allows choice, freedom and a sense of release from feeling like you're stuck and not achieving. Just imagine what it would feel like to relax your shoulders, start looking up and around you rather than down and a sense of accomplishment and moving forwards?
Below are five tips to help you connect with your stronger self -- try them out. Don't worry if it takes a few goes to really own it -- just like a habit takes a while to manifest, changing the perspective will too -- every step is a step in the right direction though. It's a conscious choice to claim back the real you.
- Your inner critic is just a perspective - what would it be like to give it a name or a persona? Eg talk about it in third person eg my inner critic says I can't do it however I know I can... You might like to consider its appearance and in reality how small it is compared to you when you stand tall and strong
- Notice and respond to your inner critic and then move on - don't stay with it - becoming more aware of when it is around and being able to dismiss it may take a while but a great practice to move you forward
- Ask yourself 'What's the truth here?' Check in with you vs your inner critic - what's really going on? What is your critic trying to protect you from? And where is it holding you back?
- Consider a time when you have overruled your inner critic - what did you do? How did you feel? And how could you connect with that feeling again
- Ultimately remember thoughts are not facts! So shrink that critic and grow your confidence - what would it be like to listen to your inner champion instead? The stronger you who is a capable of everything you want and more.
Having read through these tips I now encourage you to revisit the list of statements you connected with earlier on in the blog and rewrite them. Call upon your positive mindset and commit to two or three statements you can say out loud regularly to keep you on track. Go on, you've got this!
It's time to start believing in yourself. You're worth it ❤