“Many Americans are likely feeling both sympathy and anger. ... Sympathy for all of those suffering, including President Trump ... But also anger because so much, so much of all this pain could have been avoided,” the CNN host said on “State of the Union.”
Many have been doing everything possible to protect “ourselves and our families,” as well as communities — by social distancing, wearing masks, holding events remotely, Tapper noted.
“It’s a real crisis, it’s going to leave scars,” Tapper added. More than 208,000 Americans have lost their lives; people have lost jobs, and children are missing out on school.
Despite the crisis, Trump has shown “disdain” for health measures and for those who follow them, said Tapper.
The Americans who “don’t listen to science or medicine, who think masks are too intrusive, who pack bars, who willfully risk spreading the virus, you are making it worse for all of us. You are extending how long this pandemic will last,” Tapper added. “And it is tragic to say, many — if not most — of you are taking your cues from the leader of the free world.”
Now Trump and a growing number of top Republicans who have followed his lead have become sick with COVID-19 themselves.
“I wish you all health and recovery and a long life,” Tapper told those who have contracted the virus. “But we have to note the tragedy here. It is horrible and awful and profound.”
Speaking directly to Trump, Tapper concluded: “Sick and in isolation, Mr. President, you have become a symbol of your own failures — failures of recklessness, ignorance, arrogance — the same failures you have been inflicting on the rest of us.”
He added: “Get well, and please, for the rest of us who don’t get to go to Walter Reed, get well and get it together.”
Check it out in the video up top.
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- How to switch off from work when home is your office
- 8 sleep tips if coronavirus anxiety is keeping you up at night
- How long does coronavirus live in the air?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today