Sheldon Cooper, we hardly knew ye.
Appearing on SiriusXM’s Virtual Town Hall Monday, “Big Bang Theory” star Jim Parsons surprised fans with a platinum blond hairstyle. The reason for the new look, he said, was simple.
“Quarantine causes changes,” Parsons told host Jess Cagle. “I wanted to shake things up for the husband [Todd Spiewak], who only has one companion.”
“Now he’s got sort of one and a half companions,” he continued. “A little new thing to jazz it up.”
Some fans had caught on to the makeover a few days earlier, after Parsons sported his new ’do on an Instagram Live chat.
Parsons, a four-time Emmy winner, is currently promoting Netflix’s “Hollywood,” Ryan Murphy’s limited series that presents a revisionist take on the golden age of cinema. Parsons plays a fictionalized version of Henry Willson, a talent agent who subjects Rock Hudson (Jake Picking) to verbal and sexual abuse while priming him for movie stardom.
Willson “was gay at a time when that was unacceptable, and to succeed in this business, that must remain hidden,” Parsons told Vanity Fair. “I think Henry knew that he wasn’t a looker ― so he made it his thing to say, ‘I can’t own you because you are so attracted to me. What I can do is own you because I’m smarter than you, wittier than you, and I have more power than you.’”
Last month, Parsons told Jimmy Kimmel that he was exploring other creative outlets like painting amid the coronavirus crisis because “acting jobs are not guaranteed.”
He’s now joined a host of celebrities who are using their time in self-isolation to give themselves at-home dye jobs.
Watch Jim Parsons chat about his new hair on SiriusXM below.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- Will there be a second stimulus check?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Why it takes so long to make a coronavirus vaccine
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.