Jimmy Kimmel on Monday slammed supporters of President Donald Trump who threatened his family after he aired a misleading video of Vice President Mike Pence on his late night show, for which he has since apologized.
Kimmel last week broadcast a short clip that appeared to show Pence asking to carry empty boxes of personal protective equipment to a rehabilitation center during the coronavirus pandemic “just for the camera.” Kimmel called Pence out on his show for what he said was a publicity stunt. The full video, however, clearly showed Pence was joking.
Kimmel tweeted an apology to Pence on Friday. He followed up with another apology on Monday’s episode of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!,” at the behest of the vice president’s office. “Bottom line is, I was wrong,” Kimmel acknowledged.
But Kimmel said the matter provoked a sickening backlash “from the MAGA hats,” which he described as “disgusting” and an “outpouring of venom” aimed at himself and his family via hundreds of “horrible, hateful, sometimes violent” posts on social media.
Check out Kimmel’s monologue here:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- Will there be a second stimulus check?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Why it takes so long to make a coronavirus vaccine
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.