John Oliver called out right-wing politicians and media figures who in recent days have pushed to reopen businesses, even if that means older Americans have to die due to the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
“We’re being forced to confront some of the strangest, darkest implications of our national mindset in which market worship threatens to become a fucking death cult,” the host of HBO’s “Last Week Tonight” said on Sunday.
Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said he’s willing to put his own survival on the line to reopen the economy. “And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in,” he told Tucker Carlson on Fox News, adding there are “lots of grandparents” who agree.
And right-wing host Glenn Beck said people over 50 should go back to work while younger people stay home to avoid the virus.
“Even if we all get sick, I’d rather die than kill the country,” Beck declared.
Oliver was stunned, saying this isn’t “The Hunger Games.”
“You can’t volunteer yourself as tribute,” he said. “And what you’re doing is actually much darker: You are actively volunteering others, including people of all ages with health conditions, to die.”
Check out Oliver’s full takedown below:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- Trump rejects New York’s desperate plea for ventilators
- What you need to know about at-home coronavirus test kits
- How to file for unemployment if you’ve been laid off
- Avoiding going to the store? Here’s how to order groceries online.
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- How to get the most out of the weekend despite coronavirus
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.