Jose Canseco's bizarre Twitter timeline took an unexpectedly dark turn on Wednesday. In a series of tweets, the former MLB slugger claimed that the Las Vegas Police had visited him at his home and informed him that he was charged with rape. Canseco named the alleged victim in his initial tweets but then deleted those messages.
Tess Driver of The Clark County District Attorney's Office told The Huffington Post that there were no charges against Canseco in the system at the time of his tweets and that no arrest had been made.
UPDATE 2:47 p.m. EST: Jackie Valley of The Las Vegas Sun reported that Canseco had indeed been visited by police and is considered a "person of interest" in an alleged sexual assault.
Although Canseco deleted his first tweets about the visit from LVPD to his home, he continued to defiantly tweet throughout the afternoon. Amidst those tweets, Canseco made it clear that he was continuing about his business as usual. He tweeted that he would soon be departing for Fort Worth for a brief stint with the Fort Worth Cats of the independent United League.
MORE FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS:
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Las Vegas police are investigating a woman's allegations that former baseball player Jose Canseco sexually assaulted her.
Officer Bill Cassell said Wednesday that the 48-year-old Canseco was named as a suspect in the investigation.
Cassell says the investigation isn't complete, no charges have been filed and no arrest has been made.
The department spokesman wouldn't say where the alleged attack took place.
Word about the investigation became public after Canseco posted information about it on the social media network Twitter.
Attempts to reach him weren't immediately successful.
Canseco's spokeswoman, Susan Haber in Los Angeles, says she has no immediate information about the case.
The former Oakland Athletics slugger hit 462 career home runs during a career that included stints with seven other major league teams from 1985 to 2001.