A lot of people are shocked when they are in the grocery line, mostly by the high prices.
Lakeisha Brooks, however, was shocked by something different: lightning.
Brooks, 33, was in the checkout line of a supermarket in Houma, La., when a flash of lightning hit her as she paid for her groceries. Then she heard a loud crash.
"But I didn't realize it was over me. It dimmed my eyes to where they were burning," she told HoumaToday.com.
She tried to push her 2-year-old daughter away when the force struck again and blew her shoe off her foot.
"I had all of this black smut on the bottom," she told the website, adding that the lightning blast felt like hot oil running down her thigh "like when you're cooking."
Brooks suffered burn marks on her left leg and right foot, WDSU-TV reported.
She was taken to Terrebonne General Medical Center where she was treated and released. Her condition is improving, according to WWL-TV.
Meanwhile, the supermarket now has a foot-wide blackened tile where Brooks was standing, but the store remained open after the strike, the station reported.
Investigators for the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office said the indoor lightning strike came through the building's roof, traveled along the supermarket's sprinkler system and then struck a metal plate on the floor where Brooks stood, iScienceTimes.com reported.