A lacerating new ad airing Monday by a conservative Republican group that opposes President Donald Trump takes him to task for having “ignored” the onset of COVID-19 that has cost nearly 70,000 U.S. lives and tanking the economy.
The 60-second spot was produced by The Lincoln Project, whose “never-Trump” founders include lawyer George Conway, a fierce critic of the president even as he’s also the husband of White House counselor Kellyanne Conway.
The ad’s bleak scenes evoke images of the Great Depression. Its title, “Mourning in America,” underscores a striking contrast to former President Ronald Reagan’s hopeful 1984 re-election campaign ad “Morning in America,” which boasted that the nation was “prouder and stronger and better.” Reagan went on the win a second term in a landslide.
Trump, in contrast, presides over the “worst economy in decades” and has “bailed out Wall Street, but not Main Street,” intones the new ad’s narrator. “Under the leadership of Donald Trump, our country is weaker and sicker and poorer.”
It concludes: If “we have another four years like this, will there even be an America?”
Other Lincoln Project founders include conservative journalist Bill Kristol and longtime GOP political operatives Rick Wilson and John Weaver.
Trump’s “failure as a president” has left America “teetering on the verge of a new Great Depression,” Jennifer Horn, another Lincoln Project founder, warned in a statement as the video was released. “In a time of deep suffering and loss, Donald Trump continues with his failed leadership and his inability to put the country before himself.”
Other founders include conservative journalist Bill Kristol and longtime GOP political operatives Rick Wilson and John Weaver.
At 12:46 a.m. Tuesday, Trump tweeted his displeasure about the ad and the Republicans who created it:
Watch the ad for yourself above.
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- How to switch off from work when home is your office
- 8 sleep tips if coronavirus anxiety is keeping you up at night
- How long does coronavirus live in the air?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today