The Filipino social media star was hospitalized with a high fever and dry cough on Sept. 1, tested positive for the coronavirus on Sept. 3 and was discovered unresponsive by medical staff on Sept. 4, according to the family’s Facebook post. His heart stopped in his sleep, a doctor told them.
“There are simply no words to express our heartfelt thanks for the prayers and sympathy you have extended to our family during this time of loss,” the family wrote.
Known as “Kween LC,” Cadena entertained his millions of subscribers with unboxing segments, pranks, spoofs and cooking clips. He joined YouTube in 2011 and was one of the Philippines’ most popular social media personalities, CNN Philippines reported.
Cadena posted his last video on Aug. 28.
Cadena’s YouTube following has expanded to more than 5.5 million since his death.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article misspelled Cadena’s last name on first reference.
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- How can you manage your anxiety as coronavirus restrictions lift?
- Here’s the latest on how long COVID-19 antibodies last.
- How will COVID-19 change your office?
- Laid off and lost your health insurance? You have options.
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- Find all our coronavirus coverage here.