One contestant is lucky to be alive after taking a flaming arrow to the throat on Tuesday night’s live episode of “America’s Got Talent.”
Daredevils Ryan Stock and AmberLynn Walker were trying out two “brand new, extremely dangerous” stunts on the show when things took a terrifying turn.
The trick, referred to as “sword-swallowing with a twist,” involved Stock swallowing a slim lamp pole with a bullseye target attached that rested in his mouth. Walker, who was perched on a ladder, then tried to shoot a flaming arrow at the bullseye target, but missed ― hitting Stock directly in the throat with the fiery arrow.
The stuntman clutched at his throat and then tried to brush off the fire, keeling over while the judges and audience freaked out.
“Is everything OK? Are you OK?” host Nick Cannon asked while Stock doubled over again. Simon Cowell urged Stock to go to the hospital and later spoke to Us Weekly about the scary stunt.
“I’ve heard he was OK, but this has never happened before. We always kid that they need to make it more dangerous, but then this happens,” Cowell said. “I thought it was part of the act, but then I realized this was bad. I just had a feeling, they looked nervous before they started. But he’s OK.”
Stock later posted an update about the stunt on his Facebook, insisting that he was okay and that Walker wasn’t to blame.
“This was not Amber’s aim that was the problem. Her laser sight was on target,” wrote the comedy daredevil. “It appears as though the notch holding the arrow broke and sent the arrow sideways. Fortunately because of how it hit, it wasn’t at full power and I walked away with a minor injury. Soon we will post the video of how it should’ve looked.”
Hopefully, the two get this crazy stunt right the second time.