Boot, a fierce critic of President Donald Trump, suggested in amusing yet ominous detail how the conflict would have played out had former President Franklin D. Roosevelt acted as Trump is currently doing amid the deadly coronavirus pandemic.
Spoiler alert: not well for the Allies.
Boot, who left the GOP in direct response to Trump’s 2016 election victory, envisioned the “Trumpy FDR” losing interest soon into the war, then prematurely declaring victory, hyping a “death ray,” complaining about rationing and curfews and ultimately holding rallies to rebuke his predecessor.
“If FDR had taken Trump’s approach, this column would be in German,” concluded Boot, who said it is “no surprise” that Trump has “already gotten bored with a war against the coronavirus that isn’t going his way.”
Luckily, Boot noted, “Roosevelt focused with single-minded devotion on defeating the United States’ enemies until the day of his death.”
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.