Mealbreaker (n.): a nasty, non-edible surprise found in food while it is being eaten; often lawsuit-provoking, sometimes fabricated, always disgusting.
A woman was rushed to a hospital in Shenyang in northeastern China on January 16 after inadvertently drinking detergent from a Coca-Cola cup that was left on a McDonald's counter.
Want China Times writes that the unidentified woman thought she was drinking a Coke, which had been purchased by her boyfriend, identified only as Mr. Liu. The woman was brought to a hospital after complaining of a burning sensation in her esophagus and stomach. There, she was given a diagnosis of erosive gastritis.
Liu later returned to the McDonald's restaurant seeking answers. A counter clerk admitted to placing the cup of detergent on the counter, but did not explain further. It's thought that Liu mistook the cup of detergent for a Coke he had ordered.
The McDonald's has since apologized and offered compensation of a yet-to-be-determined amount. Liu says he wants the restaurant to pay for his girlfriend's future health problems, should they arise.