The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made the happy announcement together during their prime-time special with Oprah Winfrey on Sunday. Their couple’s baby girl is due this summer.
“It’s a girl,” the duke said, adding, “Two it is” ― confirming what he’d previously said in a Vogue U.K. interview about the number of children he wanted to have.
The royals revealed that they were having their second child in a sweet announcement on Valentine’s Day.
“We can confirm that Archie is going to be a big brother. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are overjoyed to be expecting their second child,” a spokesperson for the couple said in a statement to HuffPost.
Photographer Misan Harriman, a longtime friend of the Sussexes, took the black and white photo below on an iPad (while social distancing) to celebrate the family’s newest addition:
Harry and Meghan welcomed their first child, a son named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, on May 6, 2019.
While it was previously thought that the couple didn’t want to give Archie a title, Meghan told Winfrey that the royals actually made the decision ― which would mean Archie wouldn’t have royal security, either.
“He needs to be safe,” the duchess told Winfrey. “If you’re saying the title is what’s going to affect their protection — we haven’t created this monster machine around us, in terms of clickbait and tabloid fodder. You’ve [the Firm] allowed that to happen, which means our son needs to be safe.”
In the interview, Meghan also revealed that certain people ― whom both she and Harry refused to name ― raised “concerns and conversations” about how dark Archie’s skin color would be.
Harry said “that conversation” was one that he was “never going to share.”
“At the time, it was awkward. I was a little bit shocked,” the duke said.
More bombshells from Oprah, Harry and Meghan’s interview:
- Meghan says there were racist concerns over Archie’s skin color ― before he was born.
- The Duchess of Sussex said she contemplated suicide and was denied help.
- The royal family reportedly wouldn’t “tell the truth” to protect the Sussexes.
- Harry says he felt “trapped within the system” of the royal family.
- Meghan says Kate Middleton made her cry, despite reports saying the opposite.
- Harry and Meghan dropped a wedding bombshell at the very beginning of the interview.
- Harry heartbreakingly compared his wife’s plight to that of his late mother, Princess Diana.
- Meghan and Harry told Oprah the sex of their second child!
Subscribe to HuffPost’s Watching the Royals newsletter for all things Windsor (and beyond).