Ricky Fung found the sight of the American swimmer staring down his rivals before the 200-meter butterfly semifinal so inspiring, the tattoo parlor owner had the astonishingly realistic image inked onto his right calf Thursday.
“I wasn’t even a big Phelps fan before this, and I’m not really a swim fan,” he told ESPN. “But just seeing him go out and win the way he has has been inspiring to me.”
“He sent me the photo after Phelps won his 21st gold medal and I knew we had to do it before the Olympics were over, just so we could be included in the fun,” Tsang told Global News.
“Aside from it being a funny photo, my boss actually has a lot of admiration for Phelps’ work ethic and dedication to his sport,” she added, saying that it represented “perseverance and focus.”
For more Olympics coverage:
- 11 Weird Sports That Were Actually In The Olympics
- The Best Meme Of The Olympics So Far Is Angry Michael Phelps
- The Agony Of Olympic Defeat In 1 Heartbreaking Image
- Swimming Officials Show What The Olympics Should Be All About
- NSFW Lil Jon Song Inspires Aussie Swimmers To Olympic Gold
- Newspaper Covers Simone Manuel’s Historic Gold In Olympically Offensive Way
- The Media Are Saying And Doing A Bunch Of Sexist Stuff This Olympics
- Freaky Diving Video Is The Greatest GIF From Rio 2016 So Far