Trump claimed the demonstrators ― who are being goaded by right-wing media ― “love our country” and “want to get back to work.”
But Steele stepped in with a reality check.
“Go to work and die?” he asked. “Go to work and get sick? What is the point of that?”
Steele said the governors who put the restrictions into place are trying to protect their citizens from COVID-19.
“We’re trying to get healthy,” he said, adding:
“And if you weigh your job greater than you weigh your grandparents’ lives or your children’s lives or your own life, maybe that’s your individual choice, but that’s not something that I’m willing to take a risk with my life on.”
He said the president should give Americans clarity and a sense of purpose so they’re willing to stay home.
“But that’s not what this president has done,” he said.
See his full comments above.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus and grief
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.