Shopping, wrapping, cleaning, baking
Parties, cocktails, hors d'oeuvres making
Buy the tree and wash the mutt.
Thaw the turkey and stuff it up
Host the in-laws, travel far
With kids in the car
High heeled shoes
Mistletoe and Christmas blues
Soon the holidays will come
And you'll be busy,
'Cause you're the mom
But stress not, my friend
Take heed and see
The "Discontented Buddha" can help you be
That chilled out mom who doesn't long to flee
Yes, soon you'll be immersed in the chaos of the holiday season. But, before you start crying or mapping out your getaway plan, try this simple yoga-like technique. And enjoy the holiday season with your sanity in check.
The Discontented Buddha (10 steps to deeper, more meaningful, practice)
1. Stop and seize the moment. The one that occurs right before you lose your temper, your cool or your mind. (If you've missed it this time, don't worry, there's always next time).
2. Remove yourself from the situation and promptly find a semi-quiet corner. Behind a curtain or large plant perhaps. In a bathroom, a closet or even the garage.
3. Imagine the smell of eucalyptus or lavender wafting through the air as you inhale and exhale deeply.
4. Lift both arms above your head, palms facing behind you.
5. Place each hand into a fist, releasing only the middle finger on each (note the calm starting to take hold).
6. Now take a deep, cleansing breath and exhale while simultaneously lowering your two hands' middle fingers extended.
7. Feel the instant sense of peace as it blankets over you.
8. Repeat until you are no longer in meltdown mode.
9. Return to your family, a new woman- until next time...
10. Then start back at 1
This post originally ran on Martinis & Motherhood.
Did you know that Shannon Day and 36 other fab writers have created a book for moms? Well, it's actually a martini guide too! If you like funny, ridiculous, and heartstring-tugging stories of motherhood (+ easy-to-make martini & mocktini recipes) then you'll love Martinis & Motherhood: Tales of Wonder, Woe & WTF?! It's the perfect stocking stuffer or hostess gift for the special moms in your life.