1st Person To Purchase Legal Recreational Weed In Spokane Says He Was Fired For It (UPDATE)

See update below.

Talk about a buzzkill.

Mike Boyer was the first to buy legal recreational marijuana in Spokane, Washington, but he says he lost his job over news coverage of his purchase, KXLY reports. His employer, however, says he has not been fired.

Boyer, clad in a tie-dye T-shirt, garnered lots of attention from various outlets, including the Associated Press, for camping overnight to be first in line at the Green Leaf marijuana store that opened Tuesday afternoon.

"I wanted the title of being the first guy to buy legal marijuana in Spokane," Boyer, 30, told the AP. "It only comes once in a lifetime."

He accuses his employer, Kodiak Security Services, where he worked as a security guard, of harshing his mellow. He told Vocativ that he received a phone call from work telling him that a client saw him on TV and "snitched" on him.

Boyer then posted a Craiglist job ad, beginning: "I lost my job due to the news coverage of me being the FIRST PERSON TO BUY MARIJUANA LEGALLY IN SPOKANE! I regret nothing. But now im jobless and have decided to post my resume here. Thanks for reviewing it."

However, Kodiak's human resources manager, Kym Ramey, told The Huffington Post that Boyer was not pink-slipped.

"He is still a current employee," she said. "He was not terminated."

She said she was hoping to talk to Boyer to resolve the matter. Boyer did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

UPDATE: NBC reported that another company Boyer works for, TrueBlue Labor Ready, called him in to be drug-tested after seeing him on TV, but that he'd been reinstated after a misunderstanding. "We were not aware that he had taken the day off. He was scheduled to work, we saw him on TV that he was under the influence, and that caused us to start a process of screening," TrueBlue Rep Stacey Burke told the network. "When we realized that he was not on assignment, we reinstated him. ... Pot is legal, and we know that."

In a Thursday interview with the Seattle Times, Boyer insisted that he had been initially fired by both Kodiak and TrueBlue. “I’m assuming they’re in damage-control mode,” he told the paper.

testPromoTitleReplace testPromoDekReplace Join HuffPost Today! No thanks.