CORONAVIRUS

Mike Pence ‘Plans To Be At White House’ Amid Reports He Is Self-Isolating

The vice president's spokesperson, Katie Miller, tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday.

Vice President Mike Pence will not self-isolate after one of his aides tested positive for the coronavirus and plans to return to the White House on Monday, his office said in a statement amid reports that he had entered self-quarantine.

“Vice President Pence will continue to follow the advice of the White House Medical Unit and is not in quarantine,” a Pence spokesperson told HuffPost. “Additionally, Vice President Pence has tested negative every single day and plans to be at the White House tomorrow.”

Both Bloomberg News and the Associated Press reported Sunday that Pence, who leads the nation’s coronavirus task force, had been self-isolating after he was exposed to an aide that tested positive for the virus on Friday. 

Pence spokesperson Katie Miller, whose husband, Stephen Miller, also works in the White House, confirmed she has been diagnosed with COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the virus. The previous day, the White House confirmed a valet frequently in close contact with President Donald Trump tested positive, as well. 

A source told Bloomberg News, which first reported Pence was self-isolating on Sunday, that the vice president has been tested for the disease as recently as today.

A number of other Trump administration officials have entered self-isolation after being exposed to the coronavirus. 

On Saturday, Anthony Fauci, the administration’s top infectious disease expert and a member of Trump’s coronavirus task force, said he would enter “modified quarantine” after coming in contact with a staffer who had COVID-19. The directors of both the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control also announced they would begin two-week quarantines on Saturday after being exposed.

A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
 
testPromoTitleReplace testPromoDekReplace Join HuffPost Today! No thanks.