“I think the American people know that this is a president who has put the health of America first,” Pence said as he defended the Trump administration’s catastrophic mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic.
Pence leads the White House coronavirus task force. The public health crisis has so far cost the lives of more than 210,000 people in the U.S.
President Donald Trump contracted the virus last week following months of downplaying its deadly threat, holding packed rallies and mocking people (including Democratic nominee Joe Biden) for wearing face masks.
Check out Pence’s comments here:
Pence’s bold claim drew a look of disbelief from Democratic rival Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and received the treatment on social media:
- Get the latest coronavirus updates here.
- What will life be like once a coronavirus vaccine arrives?
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- Constantly arguing with your partner about coronavirus risks? You are not alone.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.