A New York City subway conductor who was allegedly attacked by an off-duty NYPD officer last month spoke anonymously to the New York Daily News this weekend, saying that she believes she was only “saved” from further harm because a train pulled into the station.
Officer Mirjan Lolja turned himself in on January 1, six days after the 28-year-old woman says he assaulted her at a Bronx subway platform, according to NBC New York. The victim, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority employee whose name has not been released, says that at around 2:30 a.m. on Dec. 23, Lolja became angry when he learned the next train wouldn’t be coming for 20 minutes.
She told the New York Daily News that the man started sticking his cell phone in the faces of transit workers. When she tried to grab the phone, Lolja allegedly grabbed her, pushed her to the floor and choked her. She was treated for minor head, neck and back injuries at a hospital, according to CBS New York.
The woman says the off-duty cop only let up when he saw a train pulling in beside them.
“I believe the only thing that saved me was the train coming into the station,” she told the Daily News.
She also said Lolja first tried to jump on the train, but when she yelled to another subway worker not to allow the train to leave, he took off on foot.
Security footage was released Wednesday of a man fleeing the subway station, and Lolja came forward the following day to admit he was the man on the tape.
Lolja has been suspended from duty pending an investigation, but no charges have been filed yet.