McConnell on Tuesday claimed the House impeachment of Trump and the subsequent Senate trial “diverted the attention of the government” away from the developing public health crisis “because everything, every day, was all about impeachment.”
“It came up while we were, you know, tied down in the impeachment trial,” McConnell told conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt.
Critics made the #MitchPlease hashtag trend on Twitter as they bashed McConnell for suggesting that Trump ― who downplayed the threat of the virus for weeks ― and his government could not focus on more than one task at once.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- Europe is facing lockdown fatigue. Could it happen here?
- I just got out of a COVID-19 ICU. Here’s how I made it through.
- How to make a no-sew coronavirus face mask
- Avoiding going to the store? Here’s how to order groceries online.
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- There’s a simple game that can stop a tantrum cold
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism – and keep it free for everyone – by becoming a HuffPost member today.