MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on Friday looked back at President Donald Trump’s bombastic, shifting and sometimes bonkers rhetoric about the coronavirus, as the nationwide death toll from the contagion topped 76,000.
The show’s six-minute montage (above) features the number of infections and deaths superimposed on the right side of the screen and the date of Trump’s comments to the left. The toll mounts as the record of Trump’s remarks unspools.
The video begins with Trump’s declaration on Jan. 22 that the outbreak was “totally under control.” Later, he repeatedly downplays the threat, saying the virus would “go away.” Eventually, he acknowledges the severity as he attacks the media and his predecessor.
The montage ends with Trump pondering injecting disinfectant as a treatment for COVID-19, the disease that the virus causes. The president later claimed he was trying to be sarcastic.
Check out the “Morning Joe” montage above.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- Will there be a second stimulus check?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Why it takes so long to make a coronavirus vaccine
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.