The tabloid newspaper used its Wednesday cover to call out Trump’s “hare-brained” plan, illustrating the president with bunny ears next to the headline “Easter Basket Case.”
“I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter,” Trump said Tuesday during a Fox News virtual town hall.
Trump’s comments starkly contradict the advice of health experts, politicians and even a group of former Trump advisers, who argue that limiting social interaction and enforcing social distancing measures are crucial to slowing the spread of COVID-19 infections.
The virus has so far sickened more than 420,000 worldwide and killed almost 19,000. There have been 54,000 confirmed cases in the U.S., with 784 deaths.
- Coronavirus live updates: Trump wants U.S. opened up by Easter
- Why lifting coronavirus restrictions could kill millions
- The world is facing a crucial test this week in flattening the curve
- European governments are taking these unprecedented steps to save jobs
- How to make a face mask that is effective against coronavirus
- How to grocery shop for a quarantine
- How to disinfect your food and your kitchen
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.