WASHINGTON -- United States security officials told President Barack Obama on Saturday that there was still no indication that the two people who carried out the deadly attack in San Bernardino, California, that left 14 dead this week were linked to a larger terrorist group.
The officials also told Obama that there was evidence the attackers, Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, had been self-radicalized, according to a readout of a Saturday meeting attended by Attorney General Loretta Lynch, FBI Director James Comey and Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, among others. The FBI announced on Friday that it was conducting a terrorism investigation into the attack.
While the self-proclaimed Islamic State has called Farook and Malik supporters, it has stopped short of claiming responsibility for the attack. Malik pledged loyalty to ISIS on Facebook and the FBI says that Farook had contact with al Qaeda.
Also on HuffPost:
How to vote
Vote-by-mail ballot request deadline: Varies by state
In-person early voting dates: Varies by state
General Election: Nov 3, 2020
Polling hours on Election Day: Varies by state/localityMy Polling Place