Oklahoma City Shooting: Shots Fired, 8 Wounded After Thunder Defeat Lakers [UPDATED]

The jubilant atmosphere around the home arena of the Oklahoma City Thunder was shattered by gunfire on Monday night, as was initially reported by News9 and The Oklahoman.

According to The Oklahoman, shots were fired just a few blocks from the Thunder arena on Reno Avenue between Mickey Mantle Drive and Joe Carter Avenue. News9 reports that witnesses indicated that the shots were fired as fans were celebrating and walking to their cars following the Thunders' 106-90 win.

During the broadcast of the Oklahoma City Thunders' emphatic series-clinching win over the Los Angeles Lakers, TNT repeatedly showed images of the large crowd congregating around Chesapeake Energy Arena, watching Game 5 on large screens in an area dubbed "Thunder Alley."

KOKH Fox 25 in Oklahoma City tweeted that police confirmed that shootings were being investigated in the Bricktown neighborhood near the arena.

According to News9, local police have confirmed that eight people were shot, with one victim in critical condition. Two suspects were in custody according to Oklahoma City Police Captain Lisa Camacho, per The Oklahoman. KOKH Fox 25 also reported that suspects had been arrested.

UPDATE 6:58 a.m. EST:Oklahoma City Police Captain Dexter Nelson spoke with The Associated Press, confirming the shooting but revealing from that no arrests were made.

More from The Associated Press:

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma City police say at least eight people were shot late Monday blocks from Chesapeake Energy Arena after the NBA playoff game between the Thunder and the Los Angeles Lakers.

Capt. Dexter Nelson said some scuffles broke out in a crowd of people walking east toward the Bricktown district, a popular nightlife area.

"Some girls got into it with a group of guys, and the guys opened fire on the women," Nelson said.

He said the shooting occurred at 11:35 p.m. Police know of at least eight people wounded in the incident, but Nelson did not have information on their ages or genders. He said one victim was in critical condition while the others sustained nonlife-threatening injuries.

Nelson said earlier reports of two suspects being arrested were not accurate. He said police stopped one vehicle near the incident and had detained and questioned the occupants. However, he said it was unclear how or even if the vehicle's occupants were involved in the shooting. Nelson said the investigation was ongoing.

UPDATE 9:31 a.m. EST: The Associated Press spoke with Emergency Medical Services Authority spokeswoman Lara O'Leary, who revealed that seven people were taken to a hospital with gunshot wounds as opposed to eight as was previously reported. There was an eighth person hurt at the scene. According to O'Leary, a pregnant woman was assaulted during a scuffle but is in good condition.