The protective masks fencers wear are another way for the athletes to represent their home countries. In Rio, nearly every country’s fencer donned a mask painted up like his or her home country’s flag, a trend that The Washington Post says started with U.S. and British fencing teams at the 2012 Games.
See photos of some of the most badass Olympic fencing masks below:
For more Olympics coverage:
- 50 Photos That Show The Raw Power Of This Year’s Olympic Women
- What’s Behind Those Unusual Circles On Michael Phelps’ Back
- USA Gymnastics Team Utterly Annihilates In Qualification Round
- The Agony Of Olympic Defeat In 1 Heartbreaking Image
- An Olympic Gymnast Just Broke His Leg In The Most Stomach-Churning Way