While we love to create our own personal spa days with a good DIY beauty concoction (probably involving coconut oil), we're still very much product junkies that can't get enough of our monthly beauty hauls. But, as we indulge in our favorite lotions, potions, mascaras and lipsticks, we find that we are not only putting a lot of toxins on our skin, but we also releasing harmful chemicals into the precious air around us.
Which got us thinking: Are there safer, wearable, natural and earth-friendly beauty buys out there?
We were thrilled to discover that becoming conscious cosmetic consumers is only a click away thanks to Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep cosmetics database. The comprehensive website and app catalogs nearly 70,000 products -- ranging from moisturizers, makeup, deodorant, toothpaste and baby shampoo -- into three hazard ratings (low, moderate, or high concern) based on each product's ingredient information.
"The website was born out of the fact that so little is known about the products that we routinely use on our bodies everyday and also out of the fact that it's commonly believed that if a product is on the market, and the government allows it to be on the market, then it has to be safe -- and that couldn't be further from the truth in a lot of cases," Nneka Leiba, Deputy Director of Research at EWG, told The Huffington Post. "So we decided to make that information known and show that there are safer products out there."
Indeed there are and we've rounded up a bunch of brands that could cater to your conscious consuming needs. From our favorite facial mask from Tata Harper to LUSH Cosmetics' fragrant scrub, here are 17 organic and eco-friendly products you need to snag this Earth Day.
Art by Raydene Salinas
1. Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask, $55 When it comes to organic beauty very few companies can hold a light to the research, development and products from Tata Harper. The luxury line is 100% free of synthetic and chemical ingredients, which means you can feel good about splurging on all Tata’s top-notch offerings.
2. RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek Colors, $36 Most makeup companies are concerned with just enhancing your looks, but RMS promises that along with formulas that both heal and nourish. That care also goes into the packaging for the the line’s lovely mineral derived hues, which are made of recyclable glass with air tight aluminum recyclable lids.
3. Oyin Handmade Fizzy Milk Bath, $12.99 It’s no surprise that the name “Oyin” means “honey” in Yoruba, because these products are oozing with rich and luxurious goodness. Plus everything is made from scratch, by hand, and in small batches.
4. Nature’s Gate Rice Bran Cleansing Milk, $10.99 Get herbal with the Nature’e Gate brand, as they raise the stakes in conscious products by giving some cool products that are free of animal derived ingredients. So you’ll get to bathe and mositurize in some of the world’s most natural inhabitants: plants.
5. Beauty Counter Lustro Face Oil, $64 The BeautyCounter has some pretty radical ideas when it comes to making their products user safe -- the brand has banned 1500 toxic chemicals from their makeup, meaning they are dedicated to making the best formulas that won’t harm you in the long run. Bravo!
6. Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask, $26 Bite Beauty guarantees superb lip formulas, which they describe on their website as “healthy enough to eat for women everywhere.” Well, we love eating and nice, hydrated lips, so we’ll take some Bite anytime.
7. Avalon Organics Olive and Grape Seed Conditioner, $10.50 Be the conscious consumer you’ve alway wanted to be with Avalon Organics. And while you’re add it, take some time to appreciate the “Five Elements Of Consciousness” that the company strives to hit when selling their products: Purity & Safety, Sustainability, Effectiveness, Intimacy and Personal Choice.
8. Drunk Elephant Pekee Bar, $32 If you’ve never seen a beauty blacklist, then you’re in for a treat because Drunk Elephant doesn’t play when it comes to possibly dangerous ingredients like parabens. Not only does the brand care about what you put on your skin, but they also have a careful eye on what gets put back into our environment.
9. Meow Meow Tweet Face Exfoliant, $20 Brooklyn might be the last place you’d expect a completely vegan and hand-crafted beauty line to be created -- but that’s precisely the homebase for Meow Meow Tweet. Not only are the formulations original (like the oat/chamomile flowers/black walnut hull/kelp exfoliant) but so is the colorful packaging.
10. Dr. Hauschka Clarifying Clay Mask, $49.95 Since it’s launch in 1967 the Dr. Hauschka skincare line’s mission has been "to support the healing of humanity and the earth.” The brand backs that up with a plethora of plant-based products that range from body creams to homeopathic remedies -- and even makeup.
11. Eminence Stone Crop Gel Wash, $38 Actress Thandie Newton, Olympic gold-medalist Lindsey Vonn, and singer Santigold are just a few of the stars who swear by Eminence’s range of completely organic and non-toxic products. And if that’s not tempting enough, the company also uses sustainable farming and wind energy for an extra dose of earth-friendly love.
12. The Lip Bar Lipstick, $20 Bold lip colors are the key to our hearts, and when we learned about The Lip Bar’s dedication to making intense lipsticks with natural products, like shea butter, we just had to put them on this list.
13. Marie Veronique Organics Pacific Face Oil, $110 If anti-aging the natural way is your aim then look no further. MVO was founded by a former high school chemistry teacher and the brand’s potent, organic-based concoctions strike the perfect balance between science and nature.
14. Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream, $39 Imagine covering your skin with a smoothie of certified organic fruits and vegetables and that’s essentially what you’re doing with any of Juice Beauty’s products. The CC Cream alone is packed with grape seed oil as well as apple, lemon, and white grape juices.
15. The Honest Company Baby Wipes, $4.95 Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan started The Honest Company out of their own experience as parents who wanted the best eco-friendly, yet affordable products for their family. While Honest products can speak to your personal needs, they are also kid-friendly!
16. Burt’s Bees Hand Salve, $7.20 We can’t remember when we first fell in love with Burt’s Bees products, but we’re glad we did. The all-natural company, which humbling started with a line of candles in the 80’s, is arguably the most iconic and recognizable organic beauty purveyor in the world.
17. LUSH Ginger And Fennel Sugar Scrub, $6.25 Sure, some brands take it as far as making healthier products availble. But, LUSH Cosmetics pushes the envelope in their fight against animal testing, their awareness of ethical shopping and of course their maintainence of natural, handmade goods.
Look out for these chemicals when shopping for your beauty bag...