Watch the Panettone Gelato video recipe:
1 x large panettone (my favorite is with figs but you can choose yours!)
200g mascarpone (Polenghi is my recommendation)
200g vanilla gelato
200g chocolate gelato
1 glass Prosecco
4 x medium size mixing bowls
1 x tablespoon
1. Remove the Panettone from it's plastic packaging and keep this aside for later.
2. Normally, this Italian Christmas cake will have a paper trim around the base. Using this as a guide, put the panettone on its side and cut the top part off, making a lid.
3. Put this piece to the side and begin to cut a hole out of the base by first creating a circle outline with the top of your knife, 3 cm in from the edge.
4. Once you have done this, use your hands to pull the filling out, making sure you leave a layer at the base.
5. Keep one nice sized chunk of panettone filling to the side and break the rest into smaller pieces, dividing half into the vanilla gelato and the other half into the chocolate. Mix them well using a tablespoon.
6. Separate the egg yolk from the white, putting them in 2 individual bowls.
7. Add 50g sugar to the bowl with the yolks and mix well using an electric mixer. The sugar should dissolve nicely into a creamy mixture.
8. Mix the egg whites separately using the electric mixer until they are fluffy and dense.
9. Add 200g mascarpone to the bowl with the egg yolk and mix well.
10. Fold through the egg whites using a tablespoon and then use the electric hand mixer once again.
11. Break up the remaining piece of panettone filling, adding it in also and mxing it once again with a spoon.
12. Dip a cooking brush into a glass filled with Prosecco and paste it inside and around the panettone, on the inside of the lid and around the edges of the base.
13. Pour the contents of the chocolate mix into the bottom, pressing down gently with the base of the spoon.
14. Delicately pour the egg and mascarpone mix over the top, followed by the vanilla icrecream.
15. Gently put the "lid" of the panettone back on top and place it back inside the original wrapping, careful not to tip it over or the icecream will fall out!
16. Seal the plastic making sure it is air tight so that the panettone ice cream cake doesn't dry out.
17. Keep the panettone ice cream cake in the freezer for 24-48 hr.
How to Serve:
1. Remove the panettone ice cream cake from the freezer at least 5-7 minutes before serving to soften the gelato, making it easier to cut and much more enjoyable to eat!
2. Decorate a flat serving plate with chocolate topping.
3. Slice a nice size piece of cake and place it on top of the chocolate, in the centre of a plate.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo's Plate...Enjoy!
Join my Culinary Tour "Italy Unexplored Tour" and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it's very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe